Film Art with Claude Kerven
Five Fridays from 2-4 p.m. on April 14, 21, 28, May 5, 12 at the Wellfleet Preservation Hall.
Film Art is an introduction to the evolution of cinema from 1895-1990, taught in four semesters. This course covers the contributions of the screenwriter, director, cinematographer, editor and composer. By the end of the course students will have a far better understanding of the process of filmmaking and how it relates to appreciating the history and evolution of cinema.
This course will be useful for the layman who wants to know more about film for personal enjoyment; or for the student hoping to enhance their college applications, and even for professionals who need to be more familiar and knowledgeable about the film-industry. If you love film, then this course is for you. Film Art will help you learn more about film analysis, period genres, movements in film style, film production, and more, and will deepen your understanding and enjoyment of watching movies.
The course will be taught in 4 semesters and participants are invited to register for spring 2023 now.
Each semester includes the films listed below. Registration for semester 1 is now open.
Future semesters are listed below for your information only.
Semester 1: Spring 2023
1. Story of Film: Part I (Lumiere, Edison, Méliès) – Origins of Film
2. Way Down East (Griffith) – Early Melodrama
3. Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein) - Soviet Montage
4. Metropolis (Lang) - Expressionism
5. City Lights – (Chaplin) Silent Comedians
Semester 2: Dates to be announced
6. Singin' in the Rain (Kelly/Donen) Transition to Sound
7. Bride of Frankenstein (Whale) Classical Hollywood
8. Citizen Kane (Welles) - Welles
9. Bicycle Thief (DeSica) - Italian NeoRealism
10. Psycho (Hitchcock) - Hitchcock/Intro to Horror
Semester 3: Dates to be announced
11. Jules and Jim (Truffaut) - New Wave
12. The Graduate (Nichols) - New Hollywood
13. Annie Hall (Allen) - New Hollywood Part II
14. E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial (Spielberg) – Blockbusters
15. Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee) - 80s Independent
Semester 4: Dates to be announced
16. Chungking Express (Kar-Wai) - Hong Kong Renaissance
17. Y Tu Mama Tambien (Cuaron) - Mexican Renaissance
18. City of God (Meirelles) - Brazilian Cinema
19. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Gondry) Contemporary Cinema/Post-Modernism
20. The Piano (Campion) - The Rise of Women in Film